What is Seva?
Seva is a Sanskrit word meaning selfless service and it is one of the paths of yoga. However, it is sometimes overlooked in the western expression of yoga. Doing service can be an incredibly rewarding and fulfilling experience. It nurtures a way of being in the world which constantly asks the question: “how can I help, how can I make a difference, how can I be of service?”
The Earthchild Project team have all personally experienced the benefits of yoga, meditation, the law of attraction, a healthy diet, regular exercise and time in nature (to name but a few). This is what inspired us to want to spread this knowledge and tools to children living in Cape Town township communities.
We are a local NGO who offer holistic education to under-resourced schools with a focus on the environment, health and self-development. Our aim is to give children practical skills for life and our programmes complement the school curriculum. Activities include gardening, worm farming, hiking, healthy living, yoga and meditation. We are currently working with over 2000 children in 8 schools in Khayelitsha and Lavender Hill.
Our vision is to create a new generation of conscious young leaders, and we need your help to do so…
How can you help?
- Spread the Word
Raise awareness and become an advocate for our cause. Inspire others to get involved by sharing the work we do on social media, blog posts, in the media or through word-of-mouth.
- Tell your friends and family and invite them to ‘like’ our Facebook page
- Connect us with your local yoga teachers and see if they’d like to get involved
- Write to your local media about the work we do and its importance
- Raise Funds
We could not do the work we do without the Earthchild Heroes who support us month in and month out. We greatly appreciate their help
- Become a monthly Earthchild member and hero. Donate through our Givengain page.
- Instead of gifts and anniversary presents, give a gift that keeps on giving – for example, just R200 provides 1 child with weekly yoga for a year. Choose from one of our three campaigns.
- Organise a fundraising yoga class, hike or other event in your community. Contact us and we’ll do our best to support you.
We train and place volunteers to help grow both the volunteers and the children we work with. Find out more about volunteering with Earthchild Project.