What We Offer
We offers opportunities to local and international volunteers. We offer the opportunity to meet and learn from our inspiring earthchildren, while learning about our holistic approach to education, yoga and meditation, worm farming and organic vegetable gardening, the environment and more. It is an opportunity to be involved in a positive and uplifting initiative.
- Lead or assist after-school clubs: Yoga Club and Eco-Warriors Club
- Assist Living Classroom: organic vegetable gardening and worm farming (during school hours)
- Assist Living Classroom: yoga and lifeskills (during school hours)
- Assist with enviro-education outings (during school hours)
- Assist the holiday programme (during school holidays)
- Assist with the hiking club (two Saturdays a month)
- Assist back office with administration, marketing and content creation
We generally ask for a minimum commitment of 3 months from start to end of the school term. If this is not possible, please let us know and we can discuss alternatives. Below are the 2015 dates:
2015 School Terms
- Term 1: Jan 21 – Apr 1
- Holiday Programme: Apr 7 – 10
- Term 2: Apr 13 – Jun 26
- Holiday Programme: Jun 29 – Jul 3
- Term 3: Jul 20 – Oct 24
- Holiday Programme: Oct 5 – 9
- Term 4: Oct 12 – Dec 12
All Volunteers are expected to speak fluent or good conversational English.
Volunteers do not receive a stipend.
We do not provide accommodation for volunteers. However, we have several partners that we can recommend should you require it.
Volunteers are responsible for organizing their own transport to and from the schools. For Lavender Hill we recommend catching the train to Steenberg station. For Khayelitsha we recommend driving your own car or car-pooling with other volunteers.
Steps to Become a Volunteer
Submit your volunteer application and we will respond within 5 working days to schedule a brief phone or Skype call. If we’re both happy at this stage, we will then schedule an interview with the relevant coordinator.